Undoubtedly, the most popular response to violence is defensive use of a firearm, and in public, this is most often a handgun. This course is the prerequisite for a concealed weapons permit in WV and 39 other states. If the certificate to obtain a concealed carry permit is desired, it will cost $30 per participant. With safety being the primary focus, topics include handgun familiarity, types of ammunition, holsters and carry methods, and a brief study of criminal behavior, and legal processes for a self-defense event.
- Limited to 35 participants
- Must be at least 18 years old to participate
- Class is free, but a $30 fee is required (along with approval of the instructor) to gain the prerequisite certificate (NRA Basic Pistol Certificate) to seek a concealed weapons permit.
- There may be a charge for use of the range for the practical firing portion of the training.
- Eye and ear protection required for the practical firing portion of the training.
- Any and all firearms must be unloaded and cased upon arrival.
- You will be required to sign a liability release.
- Valid photo ID
For the portion of the class spent at the range, you may want to bring some of these items to make the most of your experience:
- Comfort and health items for the range (sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, any personal medications or epi pens, appropriate clothing, close toed shoes, closed neck shirts)
- Personal firearm, the firearm (initially unloaded and cased) and ammunition
- Some "loaner" handguns will be available. Please indicate this need in the registration form below.